Saturday, January 28, 2012

Crunch Time: TRIATHLON TRAINEE - ME ? !!!

My main goal for 2012 is to participate in a Triathlon. I was on track in 2011 but had shoulder injury. This year I was diagnosed with Arthritis in my neck and was concerned that would sideline me but with regular physio; I have been cleared for competition !  The training aspect is hard to get your head around at first when you realize what you are getting yourself into.  Three Sports in succession.  Swim, Bike, Run.  The trick is while you may be proficient in one or maybe even two if you are lucky - there is always one "weak link" and for most it is the Swim Portion !  Everyone assumes because they learned how to swim when they were young that it should be easy !  Not so !  Imagine getting into a pool and having to swim 15 laps non-stop !  Now imagine doing it in open water with 150 other people kicking you in the head !!  Then out of the water and onto your road bike for a nice long ride and then a 5K Run to top it all off !!
Needless to say....my training has already begun because it takes that long to build up endurance as well as losing the weight it requires to be at "race weight" - I am fortunate because I need to drop about 7 lbs and can do it rather quickly.

Today at the pool - it was almost all Triathletes training for summer races.  They have a certain "look" about them - you can just tell.  Much like I always say I can look at someone and very quickly tell if they work out.  You just know.  It's great to train with pros and you can absorb lots of knowledge.

One of my Christmas presents was a "Max Trainer" for my Giant Road Bike that I got two summers ago. It is a beautiful ride but in order to train year round I have to be able to ride it 3 -4 days a week.  This little gadget below allows me to do just that  ! So I ride while looking out the basement window at all the snow !

The "BRIC" training that I have to do is ride 15 - 20 min. on this baby and then hop off and do Cardio for 20 - 30 min as well. 
It takes the body a long time to adjust to BRIC but I am slowly learning "thresholds" and how the body can wonderfully adapt to this type of training.
Yoga defintely has helped me stay limber and stretched out.

The Pool is where the biggest challenge will be but I am fortunate to have a trainer to assist me with proper form and stroke.



I will check in with updates as my training commences !

"Peace, Love and Fitness"

No comments:

Post a Comment

BUSINESS CARD

BUSINESS CARD